APS Explorers™ Program
At this developmental stage, kids possess their greatest ability to absorb and retain a second language qualitatively similar to their native language. Phonological acquisition is time-sensitive, unlike grammar and vocabulary learning, which can happen at any age. Hence, the emphasis here is on speaking using the Listen. Absorb. Speak.™ method.
Until we enter Stage 6 of Michigan’s Safe Start Plan, Aux Petits Soins™ will continue to offer French language immersion classes virtually. This program has recently been split into two systems to better accommodate a wider range of childhood developmental levels.
- The live learning system works well for students who can follow a conversation for more than 20 minutes and can handle virtual interaction in real time with an instructor.
- But we get it – some young children just can’t sit in front of a screen for more than a few minutes. The self-directed learning system was designed with those kids in mind, allowing them to virtually interact with our native French speaker in pre-recorded sessions at the time that’s best for them.
- Explorers I (6-18 months) – 25 minutes – Tuesdays at 5 p.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m.
- Explorers II (18-36 months) – 35 minutes – Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Explorers III (3-5 yrs) – 45 minutes – Thursdays at 5 p.m. and Saturdays at 9 a.m.
There are four sessions per year:
- Fall session runs Sep. 7-Dec. 20, 2020 (please note: there is no class the weeks of Oct. 12-18 and Nov. 23-29)
- Winter session runs Jan. 4-Mar. 28, 2021 (please note: there is no class the week of Feb. 8-14)
- Spring session runs Apr. 5-Jun. 20, 2021 (please note: there is no class May 10-16)
- Summer session runs Jun. 28-Aug. 8, 2021